Monday, March 28, 2011

Adventures in Quilting


One fabric down, nine more to go. ;o) I ordered the print fabric for my quilt last week and spent the last few days just looking at the cuteness. I finally got brave and just dove in: prewashing (interesting experience), drying, ironing, and cutting. I told Tyson that the theme of this quilt is "Rid Hailey of her OCD-ness and Embrace Imperfections," or Embrace Imperfection for short. Seriously. I spent so much time folding and refolding the fabric so that the dots would line up straight, and then realized that it doesn't really matter. It can be a little...non-straight. :o)

I still need to find some cream fabric locally (I'm thinking Hobby Lobby with a coupon), and also fabric for the binding (maybe chocolate? unclear at this point). I am extremely fortunate to have a sewing enthusiast for a mother-in-law, as she was able to let me borrow tools and a sewing machine to work on when I'm at home. I plan to do a bit at the ranch under her supervision though. I keep second guessing myself, and it would be nice to have someone who knows what she's doing to point me in the right direction.

Random tip: When ironing fabric, starch one side and then flip over to iron. Then starch the side you just ironed and flip again to iron the first side. It worked perfectly for me (and I am definitely not very skilled with an iron)! Thank you very much Mother-in-Law!

On an unrelated note, I showed Tyson Angry Birds on my phone and now he is addicted. I am seriously regretting that introduction. I was never really hooked (more of a Doodlejump fiend myself), but he most definitely is.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Good luck with the quilt! That seems like a challenge but quite exciting!