Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Lazy.

I have been so blog lazy lately! Most of my free time lately seems to go into hitting "refresh" on the substitute website to look for a job while lounging with Brody in front of the tv. Or cleaning up around the apartment. Or battling the many sicknesses I've had the past two weeks. Or napping. But mainly looking for new sub jobs. Sad, but true. I need to spend more time crafting--I'm making part of Tyson's birthday present this year!

I made taco soup last week, and I had forgotten how much I love making soups to eat throughout the week. I need to find some new recipes, but Tyson stipulates that there must be a meaty protein in it. Maybe a good chicken noodle or tortilla soup? Side note: I'm also looking for a risotto recipe. Anyone have one? I had an awesome risotto in Hawaii and am feeling nostalgic. Anyways, here's how I make my taco soup (and it's sooo good and easy!), which I adapted from my old roommate Lauren. She doesn't read my blog so I'm not going to thank her. ;o)

Taco Soup
about 1 lb. ground beef (or however much I happen to have from other recipes)
2 T. chili powder
1 t. cumin
1 t. coriander
1/2 t. oregano
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
salt, to taste
(in place of the above spices you could add a packet of taco seasoning, but trust me--this is way yummier)
packet of ranch dressing
can whole kernel corn, drained (or frozen if you have it)
can black beans, drained and rinsed
can pinto or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cans rotel or diced tomatoes with chiles (or whatever flavorings you prefer--there's a few to choose from), blended a little for Tyson (I prefer to not blend, but he doesn't like the chunkier texture)
1 30 oz. can crushed tomatoes
one of those small cans of tomato paste (I don't always add this. Just depends on my mood.)
chicken stock, beef stock, or water, to taste

In a large pot or french/dutch oven, brown meat on medium high and drain drippings. Add seasonings and mix well to let cook another 30 seconds to one minute. Add everything else, including chicken or beef stock or water until desired consistency is reached, and turn down heat to medium-ish to simmer about 15 minutes, or until heated through. We like it pretty thick and hearty. Top with tortilla chips, sour cream, shredded cheese, salsa...whatever you like!

No comments: