Friday, July 26, 2013

Resolved.

I've dedicated a good chunk of the summer to professional development and generic pondering for next year. This is mostly due to the fact that I am determined to help make this year run smoother for my team (last year was a bit of a train wreck...but only sometimes). Anyways, I've been rounding up some new ideas to try, and in an effort to hold myself accountable I am making my intentions known to my blog. Once upon a time someone asked me to blog more teacher-y things, so here I go...

1. Conversation Calendars. The presenter of a training casually mentioned Cris Tovani's idea of conversation calendars to interact with students, and I'm pretty sure my eyes lit up. I found more info on it here and decided I must try this out. I love how you can steer a conversation if you want and differentiate for individual students as needed. My plan is to have half of my students on a Monday/Wednesday schedule and the other half on Tuesday/Thursday. We shall see how it goes!

2. Absent binder. For two years I have tried to keep up with an absent wall, but the wall real estate next to the door became too valuable. Students never checked it, so I am going to try out a binder this year instead (as seen here).

3. Ticket out poster (idea from pinterest via here). I am a fan of the "ticket out" and use it fairly regularly. Usually I have my kids put sticky notes on the back of the door or my front cabinet door, but it gets a little crazy sometimes. This way, each student has a number and I can quickly scan for content and "if they got it." This is going next to the door where my old absent board was.

4. To be determined...I will fill you in on the rest!

1 comment:

Faith said...

Those conversation calendars are awesome! I wish my teachers had done something like that in school. You're such a caring teacher. (=